viernes, 13 de noviembre de 2009

Tomorrow is my birthday


Last week, while talking with someone my birthday I realised how difficult my 31st birthday was going to be: When I turned of age, drinking beer was no longer so funny; answering “quarter of a century” was pretty cool when I was asked about my age; and turning 30 last year was not such a big deal as I feared, but tomorrow I will be 31, and it is sad, sad because I am now approaching my forties.

This afternoon I left Estelí heading to Managua with the greatest plan ever: To get a cab to a Japanese restaurant and have a vegetable tempura, makis and sashimi while getting drunk on mango Margaritas; however, I forgot two things: Today is Friday the 13th and I had no plan B…huge mistake.

When I arrived in Managua, I was picked up by the SOS driver from the bus station (let’s call that place a bus station); and on the way home, I decided not to stop at an ATM to withdraw money because there were queues of up to 10 people (today it was pay-day in Nicaragua). I came to my apartment exhausted, with loads of luggage, starving and with no cash for the cab, but I was still convinced of carrying out master plan by inviting someone that would pay for the taxi.

First thing I did when I came home was taking a cold shower (I am in hot Managua now) and invited Erika to have dinner with me. Erika is a youth leader from SOS. But then, my plan began to tumble: she had no time because of work (working in teen-shared-flats is really hard work). After losing this first battle, I stopped to reflect on my situation and realised the inconveniences of having no further choices: It was Friday night, 3 hours to my birthday, no date and no cash for the taxi to get me to the Japanese restaurant.

I have the personal feeling that being 31 won’t be a piece of cake; in a way, I think this may be the reason why I wanted to treat myself nice with sushi and margaritas right before starting the 9-year countdown to my fourth decade.

After admitting the failed plan for the night before my birthday, I decided to spend the rest of the evening writing a short story for my blog. I went to the fridge to get cold water and without expecting it I saw the most beautiful thing a lonely man on the verge of frustration could ever see: A cold bottle of liquor. It was not only the bottle of excellent Nicaraguan rum I saw, but there were also limes in the fridge.

I did what I had to: one part of lime juice, one part of white rum and two teaspoons of sugar on a high ball glass. I filled the glass ice cubes and then with the water I wanted to drink before my discovery. I have to admit that this still-water mojito perfectly fulfilled its job, even without the peppermint.

I am about to finishing this second entry for my blog and realised that need a second drink^. By the way, I just turned 31.

Oscar




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario