sábado, 6 de noviembre de 2010

To hell with „tea for two“, we say „dinner for eleven”!

Sarah and I had an idea in summer: To open our own kitchen club. We talked about this project in a small café-grill in Vienna. I can’t remember the name of the place, but I remember what we ate: Portuguese sardines, grilled sausage, fried mozzarella and grilled Spanish chilli-peppers. I also remember that Sarah had a hangover, hence the sardines.

The idea of “the food conspiracy” (that is the name of our food club) was to cook every 3 months, switching between Vienna and Innsbruck. After many phone calls, we fixed the date and a 7-course menu.

This is how it went:

We opened a Facebook group and published the menu, and then we invited people to join the group and to make a reservation.

The night of our first event, eleven people came to my apartment: 7 guests and 4 friends of us. Most of the people did not know each other; there was a guest I did not know at all and another whom I have only seen twice before.

The guests were welcomed with a glass of prosecco at 19:00. When all eleven guests arrived, they sat at the table, and we started to serve. One hours d’oeuvre, two soups, salad, a hot tapa, main dish, second tapa (an improvised one!) and dessert. We also offered coffee and a very good plum schnapps.

This experiment was great. The people communicated well among themes (we were afraid that this could be difficult since they did not know each other), they were all happy with their meals. Sarah and I received applauses twice ;-)

The food conspiracy gave me a happiness feeling I never experienced before. Working hard to communicate through food (eyes, nose and mouth), receiving feedback, and after the two hours of serving food and washing dishes, Sarah and I sat with them, chatted and, with almost all of them, went to see a great concert: Red Sparrows.

2 comentarios:

  1. i very much like this idea :) shame i'm so far away... good luck with it!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi! I just saw your comment! We are cooking in three once more for other people in Vienna and in 2 months once more in the city I live, Innabruck. If you want to see pictures of the things we cooked, you can join us in facebook, my cooking project is called "the food conspiracy" look for it in FB ;-)

    ResponderEliminar