domingo, 17 de enero de 2010

The funny danger

After spending the night in Managua we left for León, a colonial city north from Managua. Our hotel was a majestic colonial building with huge white walls; our room walls were actually 4 meters high. On the first day we visited the “hervideros of San Jacinto”, hervideros can be translated to “the boiling spots”. Once I read on the web that this place was like (I quote) “…Yellowstone without the security fences”, well, I have never been in Yellowstone, but I think it is like the hervideros without the amusing risk of melting your feet!

The hervideros is small area (smaller that a soccer field) near a volcano, and it is full of holes in the ground, in these earth-cracks there is bubbling clay and loads of steam comes out of them. I made no photos in San Jacinto, but I shoot some videos with my mobile; only in video one can see the “funny danger” I mean. It was funny how our young guides (local children) took the warning sings away, in order for us to pass and take a look to the risky areas of the place.

Back in our hotel, we went swimming and had something to drink, Tita was not in the mood for a drink, but Tomás and I were; he had a Gin and Tonic and I went for a Macuá, Nicaragua’s national drink, it is made with fresh Guava and Lime juice and white rum. I didn’t know Macuá until Kamil a.k.a Bert (one of the two registered followers of this blog) told me about it while chatting back in November.

The day after, Benito Rivas and his lovely wife took us to the beach, Benito is the national director of SOS Children’s Villages Nicaragua and he is from León. After a quick walk along the beach (the heat was unbearable), Benito took us to a very nice beach-restaurant. Benito asked for a grilled fish (he chose it at the kitchen), his wife ate breaded prawns - they had a wonderful appearance, Tita ordered shrimp ceviche (prawns marinated in lime juice, tomatoes, onions and coriander), Tomás had breaded fish loins, and since I was hungry as hell, had fish ceviche and lobster (5 small tails for 8 dollars, that’s less than 6 Euros!).

After this feast on the beach, we drove back to Managua; Tita started packaging her stuff, then we talked until late at night. It was sad to know this was Tita’s last night in Managua.

The next day, The Children’s Village driver, Don Isidro, drove use, the three Germes, to the airport. Tita checked her luggage, bought cigarillos from Estelí as a souvenir and we embraced her good bye. I am happy to know that I am seeing her in only three months. She is marrying Víctor, her fiancé, on April 17th in Chihuahua.

Sometime during this week I will write about the following days in Managua with Tomás, and after that, this blog will get its peculiar irony hint back. If any of this blog’s readers miss the masochism in my entries, I promise you good stuff in the coming days, well, as long as until then nothing changes in my non-existing social, love and creative life.

Time to stop writing and change the radio station: They are playing Venga Boys…

P.S. I will upload the videos (Youtube) of San Jacinto when I am back in Austria

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario