martes, 8 de marzo de 2011

My pros are my cons OR I am a post-modern pragmatic emo?

At the end of 2004, weeks before finishing University, I found myself spreading CV's all around Europe. Back then, my mother told me that she could support me financially for only four months after my final exam. My graduation was on December 2004, so I had only until April 2005 to find a job, otherwise, I would have to return to Chihuahua (back then Chihuahua was one of the safest, better organised and tidiest cities in Mexico).

It was hell. I sent around 30 CVs per post and more than 50 via e-mail. Only three firms showed interest, but that interest turned up into only two job interviews.

When preparing for the first job interview of my life, I sat with Hannes and Gimm (both my flatmates back then) and discussed about the possible answers I could give to possible questions.

One of the questions that Hannes and Gimm asked me in that interview-simulation was actually the mother of all job-interview questions: "What are your pros and what are your cons?" Looking into Gimm and Hannes faces, I replied without hesitating: "that is an easy one, my only pro is at the same time, my only con, and that is my cool hair".

There was some true in my answer, when I had long hair (1999-2003) I really loved my hair, the only problem is that long hair look terribly bad on me (see the profile pic). There is something else regarding my hair: I was very ofter late at dinner or parties because it took me hours to style my hair...even though I had already short hair.

Now, I am 32 and I confront a different problem. Whenever I am interested in a girl and I tell her about my feelings, there are only two possible reactions from her side: She finds me funny and stays, or she walks away from me very, very fast.

…but, if fortune is on my side, and the girl stays, she will probably like me sooner or later because some qualities I have (my pros); however, if I later ask this girl if she’s interested is starting a relationship with me, the one and only question I get is “no, because you…bla bla bla”, and that “bla bla bla” matches perfectly the list of my pros.

If one sees this situation in a positive way one could say “My defects attract girls”, but I am far away from being a positive guy, I am a post-modern pragmatic emo, so I can only say “My qualities expel girls”.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario