miércoles, 4 de mayo de 2011

a smart accident

19 months ago I started to write this blog. Common themes have been food, childhood, prosecco, family and friends. However, there is something I haven't written about yet: fear

Last Saturday, I had a wonderful afternoon. Hannes, his parents, Roland and Magdalena, Lindsey, Andrea and I made a nice picnic in the garden. We had prosecco, roasted almonds, crostini with green olive paste, wasabi-gouda and strawberries. After that, we had dinner with the Quantschnigs (Roland and Magdalena invited us). After dinning, we walked to one of Innsbruck's most beautiful squares and had a drink there. Hannes’ parents left and then we headed to a bar and stayed there until half past one.

On our way home, Andrea was riding her bike in front of me when all of a sudden she was hit by a car. She didn’t see the car coming from her left side…Andre was very lucky because the driver reacted promptly (and that the car was a smart). However, as a consequence of the impact, she lost consciousness for about twenty seconds.

Many people helped after the accident. A guy stopped the cars, another called the paramedics (who arrived 4-5 minutes later) and a man gave her his jacket (she seemed cold, since her body was shaking, probably because of the contusion). I did the best I could, I carefully moved her head to allow easy breathing, put my jacket over her, verified if she could move her legs and then raised her knees to keep the blood on her chest, and talked to her all the time in order to calm her.

All this time I remained serene. We drove to the hospital, talked to the doctors, answered the policemen's questions (we both had an alcohol test, which was negative in both cases), I had to explain Andrea repeatedly what happened. After taking x-rays and an ultrasound test, the hospital personnel took her to another floor where she spent the night. I had to leave the hospital.

Only then my fear started.

I took a cab in order not to see people; the taxi-driver drove through the accident's site, which did not help at all. When I was in bed I started crying. I was so afraid because I was no longer with her, holding her hand. I was extremely worried that something could happen to her during the night. I can't remember crying so strong ever. I cried so hard and for so long that I was completely exhausted, that helped me to sleep well.

The next morning, Andrea woke me up with a text message; she was doing way much better. I went to the hospital without any fear and only then I realised that during the night I let out the fear caused by the shock of seeing the accident. My body and mind were restored.

Andrea broke no bones and was released from the hospital on Tuesday noon. She is doing very well; today she told me she quit taking the painkillers...respect!!!

I am including a picture of her so you can see that she is doing well :)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario