sábado, 3 de marzo de 2012

Acoustic pollution

First of all, I have to announce that this blog entry will not attempt to be as funny as the last one, which was - based on some of this blog readers - the funniest I have written. Today, I will once more write about food.

As an introduction: I am writing this while drinking a gin and tonic prepared with Scottish gin (Hendricks), Italian tonic (Stappj) topped with lemon and cucumber slices. I am not exaggerating if I write this is the best tonic and gin I've ever had.

Have you had the experience of sitting on the bus next to a teenager with no respect to his own ears? To be more precise, a guy with no music taste at all, hearing the worst techno beats ever on his headphones at such a high volume that one actually fears his head could explode. I have.

Yesterday, I took a plane from Cairo to Vienna and next to me, a woman on her 50s was next to me. I was incredibly tired from work (In Egypt, I co-organised and attended a workshop on new technologies and education). On the plane, I only wanted to have a glass of red wine and sleep. That was not possible because the woman next to me listened to music on her iPhone...and yes, she had no music taste and paid no respect to her ears and to us, the people surrounding her. Yes, she was a woman on her fifties hearing very bad heavy metal. The music's volume was so high that I recognised a song by Pantera. Can you imagine that? On the bus you can sit next to one of this guys for 5, maybe 10 minutes...I sat three and a half hours next to Mrs. Ozzy Osbourne

When I think of a woman on her 50s, I automatically think of my mom, her friends and the mothers of my friends. Actually, my mom is closer to her 60s than to her 50s, but I still make that link.

Now I will start writing about food:

Last time I spent time time with a woman at least 20 years older than me was four weeks ago in Barcelona, I was invited for lunch by Loli, the mother of a friend of mine. Loli is one of the best cooks I know, and that day, she prepared the following:

- Aperitivo: Olives and a glass of Spanish red Vermouth.

- Starter: Freshly sliced Jabugo (the best cured ham in Spain...and Spain produces the best cured ham in the world)

- Salad: Celery and winter tomatoes (the tomatoes had a thick skin and a very, very sweet flavour) with lemon juice and olive oil

- Side dish 1: Fried artichokes.

- Side dish 2: Chicken and ham croquettes

- Main course: Lentils with tomato, garlic and loads of olive oil

I am happy that Loli doesn't like Pantera and that her mobile phone has no headphone-connection, but I am sad because she was not next to me on that plane, we could have talked three and a half hours about food.

Here some pics from Loli's culinary art:
 cutting the jabugo
 Vermouth and jabugo
Artichokes 
 Chicken and ham croquetas

 Table for two :-)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario