viernes, 16 de marzo de 2012

Gin and tonic

I have a very good friend from Scotland and some time ago, she introduced me to Hendrick's (Thank you Lindsey!). Hendrick's is one of the few gin's distilled is Scotland and it was once voted “best gin in the world”.

In the last few months, it happened that I was in several airports, and something I always do at airports it's to check the duty-free stores. It is very funny to see how tourists from all over the world are tricked: I Have seen Martini bottles at 12 USD (the price in the supermarket around the corner is 7 USD) or Toblerone chocolate bars at 4 USD (they normally cost 1,5 USD).

The regular price of a 0,75 litre bottle of Hendrick's is 35 Euros, and in Cairo, the price was 17 for the 1 litre bottle...I got two.

Hendrick's has such a nice and smooth flavour you can drink it plain. I like it on the rocks with cucumber and lemon peel, but, my favourite is still the gin & tonic with cucumber, lemon and, very important: good quality tonic water.

Schweppes tonic water is available everywhere, and it is not bad, but for Hendricks it is simply not good enough. It is like preparing a sangria with fanta instead of using fresh fruits...or using garlic powder when cooking.

Today, I wanted to be home and enjoy a good gin & tonic. In my apartment I have plenty of Schweppes, but I did not want to waste my Hendricks with it, so I bought a bottle of normal gin. There were three bottle sin the supermarket: Gordon's, Beefeater and Sapphire Bombay...I always wanted to be a bobo - bohème bourgeois - ever since I hear about them, so I bought the Sapphire Bombay...the bottle looks more classy (Click here for the bobo definition in German, English andSpanish)

At the cashier, I asked to get a paper bag (I heard that bobos care about the environment), then I took my bike and rode home. Two minutes before arriving, I drove over a bump and my paper bag showed me why most people buy plastic bags: It felt apart and everything landen on th efloor. But I was lucky, only 2 of my organic eggs (it is bobo to buy organic products) were destroyed, but the rest of my groceries, including the sapphire bottle, survived the accident.

I got rid of the crushed eggs, put the survivors back in their box and started to put the groceries on my fake-leather bag (yes, I still posses accesoire whcih are not bobo at all). I started by picking up my weekend-highlight (the Sapphire bottle), then the rucola (rocket salad), the Kettle Potato Chips, the bresaola (am I a bobo or what?), and then, my nightmare came true: The gin bottle felt from the fake-leather bag and exploded in front of my eyes. It was sad...yes, it even hurted to see how my Friday entertainment broke into million pieces in front of me.

Now I am sitting in front of my PC, hearing sad songs and wasting the incredible flavour of Hendricks by drinking it with Schweppes...truly said: I can't wait until it is warm enough to start drinking prosecco - with 5 Euros, you are in heaven!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario