lunes, 4 de junio de 2012

my fingers smell like the most delicious strawberries

It all happened so fast: I had loads of documents to finish, many e-mails to send, a film festival to organise, three bands to attend (and hear), luggage to prepare, a brunch to cook for my friends and finally, to take the plane to Tbilisi. That all happened within 8 days. I arrived 36 hours ago to Georgia.


While in Innsbruck, I heard only good things about Georgian food, and even though I have been here for less than two days, I can already say that all my friends were not exaggerating when they told me Georgian cuisine was the best in the Caucasus. What they forgot to tell me was the wonderful agricultural products you can get on the streets.

Today I bought fruits and vegetables from a “store” in a garage. AMongts many things, I also bought strawberries….the best I have had in my life.

For me, it was always a mystery why strawberry-flavoured lollipops and chewing gum tasted so different from fresh strawberries; and then I tried wild strawberries from the Mountains around. Only then I tasted what food scientists were trying to imitate. They wanted to synthetically replicate the flavour of wild strawberries.

The artificial flavour is similar to the one from wild strawberries, with the difference that the natural ones are more intense and fresher and have an incredible texture that no analog candy can ever recreate - even though their flavour’s molecules are identic to the natural’s.

Wild strawberries are very small and very intense in flavour, but for me, they lack something: Juice. The strawberries I just had were perfect. They tasted very similar to the wild ones, but had the size of a common strawberry; they smelled like heaven and were so juicy that my fingers still smell like strawberries.

I also bought tomatoes, cilantro, cucumber and eggplants…I can’t wait to make a tomato-cucumber salad with lemon juice and cilantro topped with fried eggplant cubes…

I will be in Tbilisi for six more week and I can’t wait to discover more street markets, visit the thermal spas, swimm in the black sea...and eat more, much more.



The ones I got, are the straberries in the left front side of the picture. The ones behind (middle and right part) are sour cherries, normal cherries and white cherries

My fingers smell like these strawberries right now :-)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario